UAE-based senior college and university students majoring in medical laboratory sciences will engage in a battle of wits on February 8, in hopes of being crowned the ultimate champion. Known as LabQ, the quiz competition returns for its second edition this year to nurture young minds and reignite a passion for pathology and laboratory medicine. For the students, this would be a golden opportunity to not only demonstrate their holistic understanding of the field but also apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills under the spotlight.
Laboratory medicine can be considered a team sport, thanks to its features of multidisciplinary collaboration, the interdependence of roles, and communication skills. LabQ aims to bring these qualities to the forefront during the competition and equip students with skills ranging from seamless coordination to accuracy in knowledge and improved troubleshooting.
Additionally, LabQ extends itself as a platform for networking and collaboration, giving students a comfortable setting to interact with peers from other institutions as well as real-life laboratory professionals at the show.
The competing institutions are Gulf Medical University, Higher College of Technology, Liwa College and the University of Sharjah. The session is set to take place from 3pm to 5pm at the NextGen Room in Zabeel Hall 7.
Bringing the next big idea to the forefront, Labpreneur will open the floor to some of the world’s exciting start-ups and their inspiring journey to shape the future of laboratory medicine. Submissions took place earlier this year, and the selected contenders are:
- AIDENTIS: Aims to revolutionise dental diagnostics with cutting-edge AI-powered solutions (Kazakhstan)
- Enbiosis Biotechnology: Clinically proven AI-driven microbiome-based precision nutrition (UK)
- eTabeb: Free conventional mobile app for users to book and manage their medical appointments with healthcare facilities (KSA)
- IHealthScreen: Aims to develop novel, innovative software for retinal image grading and diagnosis of diseases and screen diseases for early detection (UAE)
- LinkiDoo: Known to be the first matchmaker between pharmaceutical brands and worldwide pharmaceutical distributors (France)
- MDBX Health: Aids patients with medication management, being connected to their physicians between appointments, and staying on track for a happier, healthier life (UAE)
- Phys: Features a combination of cutting-edge AR technology with the critical task of managing children's screen time (KSA)
- Xana Medical Ltd — Pocket Lab: Real-time at-home personalised health and wellness testing (UK)
- Ziagno: Enables access to primary healthcare by offering an innovative solution through AI-powered accurate diagnostics and personalised healthcare services (UAE)
Each representative will receive four minutes to share their pitch to an esteemed panel of judges featuring industry leaders Sion Hau, Ventures Associate, Plug and Play Abu Dhabi; Zeina Youseff, Operations Support Manager, Rainmaking; Unmesh Lal, Global Director, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Frost & Sullivan; Dr. Sadyk Gusniev, MD, MBA, HealthTech Expert and Researcher; and Dr. Chethan Belludi, Consultant Physician, PureLab, Abu Dhabi.
They will also receive an additional five minutes for a Q&A session to showcase their progressive ideas for a chance to win the prestigious title, a complimentary Exhibition Stand Space at Medlab Middle East 2025.
Venue: Cape Town Room, Zabeel Hall 1
Venue: NextGen Room, Zabeel Hall 7
Visit Medlab Middle East's official website to learn more.