Since our Voice of the Healthcare Industry Market Outlook report in December 2019, the COVID-19 pandemic has affected every single member of the healthcare community, both personally and professionally – and at every level of the supply chain, from manufacture to bedside care.
Through this year's survey, we asked healthcare respondents worldwide about the impact of the events of 2020-21.
Respondents identified a number of interesting shifts that have taken place as a result of the pandemic and its impact on the industry, which is playing a key role in overcoming the health crisis:
- A more cautious outlook. While still relatively optimistic, the industry is predicting less of an increase in turnover than in 2019.
- Value-based healthcare is the future. The industry recognises that it needs to become more cost-effective and sustainable from the ground up, rather than chasing trendy buzzwords.
- Attracting local patients. With the future of global travel still uncertain, the industry needs to target more local business.
- Healthcare is moving online. Telemedicine has become a larger focus for a world where face-to-face contact remains a risk to health.
- Technology is still catching up. Tech overall is having less of an impact than expected. Gaps in tech skills are closing, but not in line with their implementation.
- Eyes are on the GCC. This region has extremely strong prospects.
- Medical practitioners are feeling more valued. Doctors and nurses have been on the frontlines of the pandemic, and their work is recognised.
About the report
The Voice of the Healthcare Industry Market Outlook 2021 survey was designed by Informa Markets to understand the impact that the pandemic has had on four key areas of the industry: manufacturers and agents, dealers and distributors; clinics and medical practices; private hospitals and public hospitals; government and health regulators; and charities, non-profits and NGOs.
Through GRS Research & Strategy Middle East we asked 1,600 respondents worldwide about the financial and operational impact of the events brought by the pandemic.
The survey also looked to assess how the industry has responded to the pandemic, and how key players have evolved their business strategy. We also asked participants to reflect on how the future will look, and what key trends they are now anticipating.